For New Wisconsin Businesses:
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue & Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your Wisconsin Department of Revenue taxes.
Wisconsin Income tax withholding
Register with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue online to obtain your Withholding Account Number.
- You should receive your Withholding Account Number in 24 hours after registering online
- You should receive your Withholding Account Number in 3-4 days if registering by mail.
Wisconsin Unemployment tax
Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they pay $1500 in a quarter in any calendar year or have one or more employees per day in 20 or more weeks of any calendar year.
You can find out if your company is liable and register online with the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development.
- Select Create Logon ID, in order to obtain the Employer UI Account Number and tax rate.
- You should receive this info instantly after registering online
- You should receive this info in 1-2 weeks if registering by mail.
Wisconsin Unemployment Insurance Tax Rate: If you're a new employer in Wisconsin, your rate will generally be in the range of 3.05%–4.55%.
- Those in the construction industry or with an annual payroll over $500,000 should review this page to find their rate.
- If you're unsure of your rate, please call the Department of Workforce Development at 1-(414)-438-5395
For Existing Wisconsin Businesses:
If you already have access to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue & Department of Workforce Development website, and have your IDs, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the Wisconsin Tax Document. If you have access to the Wisconsin websites, but do not have your ID, please log into the appropriate account and apply for access to an ID. If you have any questions, please call the Wisconsin Department of Revenue at 1-(860)-297-5962 or the Department of Workforce Development at 1-(414)-438-5395.
- If you've run payroll in Wisconsin previously, you can find your Withholding Account Number on the form WT-6 withholding coupon or on the welcome letter labelled "Filing Number" sent by the WI Department of Revenue.
- You can find your Employer UI Account Number on the latest tax rate notice or Quarterly Wage Report (Form UCT-101) sent to you by the WI Department of Workforce Development.
Wisconsin Unemployment Insurance Tax Rate: Businesses can find their Unemployment Insurance Tax Rate on their most recent tax notice from the Department of Workforce Development.
- Please only enter in the total rate, which generally ranges from 0%–12%.