For New Utah Businesses:
Please follow the steps below to register your business with the Utah State Tax Commission and Department of Workforce Services. Unless these steps are followed in their entirety, OnPay will be unable to file and pay your Utah taxes.
- To register for both tax agencies in Utah OneStop Online Business Registration.
- You will receive a temporary account number instantly after registering online, but do not enter this into your OnPay account.
- Your permanent ID and deposit schedule will arrive roughly 2 weeks later, and this is what you should enter in your OnPay account.
- Employers generally become liable for state unemployment once they have one or more employees for some portion of a day in a current or previous year or have paid $1500 payroll in a calendar quarter.
- If your company is liable, you will receive your Employer Registration Number and Unemployment Tax Rate (AKA Contribution Rate) once you have completed the online business registration.
- The UI Rate typically ranges from 1.1%–7.2% for new employers.
For Existing Utah Businesses:
If you already have access to the Utah State Tax Commission and Department of Workforce Services websites, and have your tax ID numbers, please STOP, and simply provide us with the data requested in the "Give us your Info" section of the Utah Tax document. If you have access to the Utah State Tax Commission website but do not have your tax IDs, please log into your Utah account and apply for access to an ID. If you have any questions, please call the Utah State Tax Commission directly at 1-(801) 297-2200 or the Department of Workforce Services at 1-(866)-435-7414.
- Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax account ID on notices that you've received from the State Tax Commission.
- You can also find your Employer Registration Number on any notices you've received from the State Tax Commission.
UT Unemployment Tax Rate: Your UI rate will appear on the top right of the Contribution Rate Notice you would have received from the Department of Workforce Services.
- It generally ranges from 0.2%–8.2%. If you're unsure of what your rate is, you should call the agency at (801) 526-9235.