Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form A-6 Monthly (Required for Monthly Deposit Schedule), Form A-1 Quarterly (Required for Quarterly Deposit Schedule), and Form A-3 Annually (Required for all Alabama employers: W'2's and 1099's).
Unemployment: Forms UC-CR-4 and UC-10-R Alabama Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report
Local Taxes: All city and county rates are those given to the League by survey and should be verified with the appropriate entity for updates.
Bear Creek 1%
|Mountain Brook 0%
Rainbow City 2%
Red Bay 0.5%
What information does OnPay need?
- Alabama State Withholding Account:10 characters long and starts with an "R". Ex: R123456789
- E-File Sign-On ID, E-File Access Code, and Third Party Access please follow the steps below.
- Alabama Unemployment Account Number (UC Registration Number): a 10-digit ID
- Alabama Unemployment Rate and the Alabama Employment Security Assessment Rate (ESA Rate)
- Completed Alabama DOL POA found here.
Instructions for adding Third Party Access for OnPay
- Log into your Alabama Department of Revenue Online Account.
- Click the "Home" hyperlink followed by the "View/Edit MAT Profile" hyperlink.
- Click the "View/Edit MAT Profile" hyperlink in the menu bar on the left side of the window.
- Click the "Manage Log-ons" tab.
- If "Settings" is not displayed by default, select the "Settings" sub-tab. Note: If you do not see the Settings sub-tab, then your access does not have the proper permissions. Your log-on needs to be designated as "Master" to view this section.
- If Third-Party Log-ons Allowed/Change Third-Party Password is set to "Yes" then OnPay will be able to create our third-party log-on.
- If it is set to "No", the access cannot be created.To change this, click the "No" hyperlink. You will be directed to the Change Third-Party Access page.
- In the "Would you like to enable others to access your accounts?" field, click the blue drop-down arrow and select "Yes".
- Create a third-party password. The password must be 8-16 characters in length and must contain one letter and one number. Note: This should be different than the password you use to access your MAT account. OnPay does not need this password. We will obtain access using the account number, E-File Sign-On ID, and the E-File Access Code you provide.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to email@example.com:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed Alabama DOL POA found here.
I am an existing Alabama employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Alabama you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Alabama Department of Revenue: (334)-242-1584
Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on Form A-1, Return of Income Withheld.
E-File Sign-On ID/Access Code: These are located on the notification letter you received when registering with the Alabama Department of Revenue.
Alabama Department of Labor: (334)-242-8830
Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the Tax Rate Notice (Form UC-216F) or Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (Form UC-CR4).
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in Box 6 of the Tax Rate Notice
Employment Security Assessment: This can be found in box 7 of the Tax Rate Notice
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Alabama taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Alabama?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Alabama information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Alabama agencies should I register for?
Alabama Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Alabama. If your business is located outside of Alabama, but your employees work or live in Alabama you will need to register with this agency.
Alabama Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Alabama. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Alabama, you will need to register with this agency.
OnPay uses both the home address for each employee, plus the work site assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
Alabama Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): (334)-242-1300
Alabama Department of Labor (unemployment insurance assistance): (334)-242-8830
Note: Employers are not required to register with the Alabama Department of Labor until you have paid $1500.00 in wages during a calendar quarter, or had at least one employee working 20 or more different weeks during a calendar year.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**