Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form MW506: Monthly Withholding Return and Form MW508: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal.
Unemployment: Maryland Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Maryland State Tax ID: 8-digit number Ex: 00000000
- Maryland Unemployment ID: 10-digit number Ex: 0000000000
- Maryland Unemployment Rate
- Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulations PIN
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to email@example.com.
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
I am an existing Maryland employer, where can I find the information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Maryland you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
The Comptroller of Maryland: (800)-638-2937
Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their eight digit CRN Withholding Tax Account Number on your Withholding Tax Return (Form MW506) which you would have received from the Comptroller of Maryland.
Maryland Department of Labor: (410)-767-2412
Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the Unemployment Insurance Quarterly Contribution Report (FORM DLLR/OUI 15). You can also find your ten digit MD Employer Account Number on any notice received from the MD Department of Labor
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in left-hand box on the Tax Rate Notice
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Maryland Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Maryland?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Maryland information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Maryland agencies should I register for?
The Comptroller of Maryland: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Maryland. If your business is located outside of Maryland, but your employees work or live in Maryland you will need to register with this agency.
Maryland Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Maryland. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Maryland, you will need to register with this agency.
OnPay uses both the home address for each employee, plus the work site assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
The Comptroller of Maryland (withholding assistance): (800)-638-2937
Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulations (unemployment insurance assistance): (410)-767-2412
Register with the Comptroller of Maryland online to obtain both your Central Registration Number (CRN - Unemployment ID) and your Employer Account Number (Withholding ID).
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**