Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form M-942: Monthly Withholding Return, Form M-941: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation, and Form M-941A: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal.
Unemployment: Massachusetts Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Massachusetts State Tax ID: Example: 123 456 789 or WTH-12345678-001
- Massachusetts Unemployment ID (DUA): Example: 12-34567-8
- Massachusetts Unemployment Rate
- Massachusetts Workforce Training Fund Rate
- Massachusetts Employment Medical Assistance Contribution Setup Rate
IMPORTANT: Massachusetts will not allow OnPay to file and pay Withholding or Unemployment taxes unless we are added as third-party users to your online accounts. Please follow the instructions below to complete these necessary steps.
Instructions to add OnPay as a Professional Tax Preparer for Withholding Tax:
- If you have not, please log in to WebFile for Business and authorize us to perform work. To do this, you need to log in, and choose the Lookup and Authorize my Professional Tax Preparer link. Then click on "Add New PTP", search for and select your company, and then assign the rights to perform work on your behalf.
- We need the access for file and pay of your MA Withholding taxes.
- You will also need the name of our business and our federal tax ID (EIN) to add us:
- Name: Payroll Center Inc
- FEIN: 58-1484145
Instructions to add OnPay as a Third Party Agent (TPA) for Unemployment Taxes:
- Please log into your online account and complete the process of adding an Agent (Third Party Account).
- You will be asked for our: TPA ID and PIN.
- TPA ID is 102601
- PIN is 1136.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax Account ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID (DUA Account Number), Unemployment Rate, Workforce Training Fund Rate, and Massachusetts Employment Medical Assistance Contribution Setup Rate (as a %).
I am an existing Massachusetts employer, where can I find this information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Massachusetts you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Massachusetts Department of Revenue: (617)-887-6367
Withholding Tax Account Number: If you have previously registered with the Department of Revenue your account number will be your FEIN.
Massachusetts Department of Labor: (617)-626-5075
Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find their Massachusetts UI Account Number and Contribution Rate Unemployment Account Number on the notice that you receive from the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) each year
Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in the top right-hand corner of the Tax Rate Notice.
Massachusetts Workforce Training Fund Rates: Most employers also pay .06% Workforce Training Tax. Enter the rates assigned to your business on the annual rate notice.
I am a new employer, do I need to register for Massachusetts Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Massachusetts?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Massachusetts information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Massachusetts agencies should I register for?
Massachusetts Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Massachusetts, or for any employees that calculate Massachusetts withholding taxes regardless of where they live/work. if your business is located outside of Massachusetts, but your employees work or live in Massachusetts you will need to register with this agency.
Massachusetts Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Massachusetts. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Massachusetts, you will need to register with this agency.
OnPay uses both the home address and the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated.
How do I register with the state?
Massachusetts Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): (617)-887-6367
Massachusetts Department of Labor (unemployment insurance assistance): (617)-626-5075
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**