The information below will guide you through the following:
- Understanding if you should be calculating Indiana taxes
- Deciding which Indiana taxes your company should register for
- Understanding what forms OnPay files
- Registering with the Indiana Tax agencies
- Completing the forms necessary for OnPay to be able to file/pay on your behalf
- Entering necessary information into OnPay
Do you need to register for Indiana Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Indiana?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Indiana information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Indiana Agencies should I register for?
- Indiana Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Indiana, or for any employees that calculate Indiana withholding taxes regardless of there they live/work. if your business is located outside of Indiana, but your employees work or live in Indiana you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Indiana Department of Workforce Development: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Indiana. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees primary work location is in Indiana, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
Indiana Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): 1-(317) 233-4016
- Register for your State Tax ID
Indiana Department of Workforce Development (unemployment insurance assistance): 1 (800) 437-9136
- Register for your account ID and tax rate
If you are a new employer in the State of Indiana, this information can be very useful in helping you get your company set up and registered. Please use the following contact information to speak to the departments about registration. Your company MUST be registered with each department before we can pay taxes on your behalf.
Tax Forms We File
- Form WH-1: Monthly Withholding Return
- Form WH-3: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
- Indiana Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
This information is required. If OnPay does not receive one or more pieces of the information/steps listed below, we may be unable to file/pay one or more of your tax returns. Please contact us if you have any questions.
What you need as an Indiana Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Indiana State Tax ID:10-digit number Ex: 0000000000
- We must insist that you verify that the ID with the Department of Revenue.
Once you provide is with your State Tax ID we can file and pay all of your Indiana Department of Revenue taxes for you.
Indiana Unemployment Insurance
What we need from you as a Indiana Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Indiana Unemployment ID: 6-digit number Ex: 000000
- Click HERE to log in and add us as a Third Party Administrator.
- Log in or create an account as an "Employer". You will need to have already registered your business with the Indiana Department of Workforce Development.
- Once you have logged in click on "Add Agent". You will then search for our account number: 110861. Our name is Payroll Center Inc and Matthew Sanford is listed as our Agent.
- To add us as a Third Party Administrator:
I am an existing Indiana employer, where do I find the information to provide to OnPay?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Indiana you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Indiana Department of Revenue:
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their TID on notices that you have received from the Indiana Department of Revenue
If you cannot locate this document or account number, please call the Indiana Department of Revenue at 1 (317) 233-4016 and request the account number.
Indiana Department of Workforce Development:
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find their Indiana Unemployment ID and Premium Rate in the "Total Premium" box of the SUTA notice that you receive from the Indiana Department of Workforce Development.
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found near the top lefthand side of the Tax Rate Notice
If you cannot locate one of the documents above, or the account number, please contact the Indiana Department of Workforce Development at (800) 437-9136 and request the account number.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to email@example.com:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed Indiana DOL POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of Indiana, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
Power of Attorney
What we need from you as an Indiana Employer:
Please CLICK HERE for the Indiana Power of Attorney forms and information on how to complete the forms. This will allow us to speak on your behalf, file, and make payments with the State of Minnesota. Please email the completed Power of Attorney forms firstname.lastname@example.org.
Give us the Info
Once you have received all of this information from both the Department of Revenue and the Department of Workforce Development please forward it on to us at email@example.com.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**