The information below will guide you through the following:
- Understanding if you should be calculating New Mexico taxes
- Deciding which New Mexico taxes your company should register for
- Understanding what forms OnPay files
- Registering with the New Mexico Tax agencies
- Completing the forms necessary for OnPay to be able to file/pay on your behalf
- Entering necessary information into OnPay
Do you need to register for New Mexico Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of New Mexico?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain New Mexico information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which New Mexico Agencies should I register for?
- New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in New Mexico, or for any employees that calculate New Mexico withholding taxes regardless of there they live/work. if your business is located outside of New Mexico, but your employees work or live in New Mexico you will likely need to register with this agency.
- New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in New Mexico. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees primary work location is in New Mexico, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
New Mexico Department of Taxation and Revenue (withholding assistance): 1-(505) 827-0700
- Register for your State Tax ID
New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions (unemployment insurance assistance): 1-(877) 664-6984
- Register for your account ID and tax rate
If you are a new employer in the State of New Mexico, this information can be very useful in helping you get your company set up and registered. Please use the following contact information to speak to the departments about registration. Your company MUST be registered with each department before we can pay taxes on your behalf.
Tax Forms We File
- Form CRS-1: Monthly/Quarterly Withholding Return
- Form RPD-41072: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
- New Mexico Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
This information is required. If OnPay does not receive one or more pieces of the information/steps listed below, we may be unable to file/pay one or more of your tax returns. Please contact us if you have any questions.
What you need as a New Mexico Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- New Mexico State Tax ID: 10-digit number Ex: 00-00000000
- If you have already set up and online account HERE then please provide us with the login credentials. If not we will set up an account for you.
- Select "New User?"
- You will need to have already registered your business with the New Mexico Department of Taxation and Revenue
- To sign up for Online access:
Once you provide is with your State Tax ID we can file and pay all of your New Mexico Department of Taxation and Revenue taxes for you.
NM Unemployment Insurance
What we need from you as a New Mexico Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- New Mexico Unemployment ID: 7-digit number Ex: 00-0000-0
Once you provide is with your State Unemployment Tax ID we can file and pay all of your New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions taxes for you.
Third Party Access (TPA)
- Go to user maintenance and add a Third Party Administrator.
- You will need the following information to add a Third Party Administrator:
- TPA Name: Payroll Center Inc
- TPA ID: 500001263
- Please use the following instructions for further assistance.
Please notify OnPay once you have set us up as a Third Party Administrator.
I am an existing New Mexico employer, where do I find the information to provide to OnPay?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in New Mexico you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department:
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on Form CRS-1.
If you cannot locate this document or account number, please call the New Mexico Department of Revenue at 1-(505) 827-0700 and request the account number.
New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions:
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Tax Rate Notice
- Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in the top righthand corner of the Tax Rate Notice
If you cannot locate one of the documents above, or the account number, please contact the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions at 1-(877) 664-6984 and request the account number.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to email@example.com:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed New Mexico DOL POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of New Mexico, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
Power of Attorney
What we need from you as an New Mexico Employer:
Please CLICK HERE for the New Mexico Power of Attorney forms and information on how to complete the forms. This will allow us to speak on your behalf, file, and make payments with the State of New Mexico. Please email the completed Power of Attorney forms firstname.lastname@example.org.
Give us the Info
Once you have received all of this information from both the Taxation & Revenue Department and the Department of Workforce Solutions please forward it on to us at email@example.com.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**