The information below will guide you through the following:
- Understanding if you should be calculating Vermont taxes
- Deciding which Vermont taxes your company should register for
- Understanding what forms OnPay files
- Registering with the Vermont Tax agencies
- Completing the forms necessary for OnPay to be able to file/pay on your behalf
- Entering necessary information into OnPay
Do you need to register for Vermont Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Vermont?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Vermont information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Vermont Agencies should I register for?
- Vermont Department of Taxes: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Vermont, or for any employees that calculate Vermont withholding taxes regardless of there they live/work. if your business is located outside of Vermont, but your employees work or live in Vermont you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Vermont Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Vermont. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees primary work location is in Vermont, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
Vermont Department of Taxes (withholding assistance): 1-(802) 828-6802
- Register for your State Tax ID
Vermont Department of Labor (unemployment insurance assistance): 1-(802)-828-4000
- Register for your UI account ID and tax rate
- Helpful Instructions/Information on Vermont tax departments:
- Click here for more information regarding both existing & new businesses to Vermont taxes
- Click here for information regarding registering your Vermont business
- Click here to register for an online reporting account
If you are a new employer in the State of Vermont, this information can be very useful in helping you get your company set up and registered. Please use the following contact information to speak to the departments about registration. Your company MUST be registered with each department before we can pay taxes on your behalf.
Tax Forms We File
- Form WH-431: Monthly Withholding Return
- Form WH-431: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation
- Form WH-434: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
- Vermont Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
This information is required. If OnPay does not receive one or more pieces of the information/steps listed below, we may be unable to file/pay one or more of your tax returns. Please contact us if you have any questions.
What you need as a Vermont Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Vermont State Tax ID: 8-digit ID Ex: WHT-00000000
- Vermont PIN
- If you have already set up and online account HERE then please provide us with the login credentials.
- You will need to have already registered your business with the Vermont Department of Taxes
- To sign up for Online access:
Once you provide us with your State Tax ID and login credentials we can file and pay all of your Vermont Department of Taxes for you.
VT Unemployment Insurance
What we need from you as Vermont Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Vermont Unemployment ID: 7-digit number Ex: 0000000
Once you provide us with your State Unemployment Tax ID we can file and pay all of your Vermont Department of Labor for you.
I am an existing Vermont employer, where do I find the information to provide to OnPay?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Vermont you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Vermont Department of Taxes:
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on notices received from the Vermont Department of Taxes.
If you cannot locate this document or account number, please call the Vermont Department of Taxes at 1-(802) 828-6802 and request the account number.
Vermont Department of Labor:
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Contribution Rate Notice
- Quarterly Wage & Contribution Report (Form C-101)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in Contribution Rate Box 6 at the top of the Tax Rate Notice
If you cannot locate one of the documents above, or the account number, please contact the Vermont Department of Labor and request the account number.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed Vermont DOL POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of Vermont, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
Power of Attorney
What we need from you as an Vermont Employer:
Please CLICK HERE for the Vermont Power of Attorney forms and information on how to complete the forms. This will allow us to speak on your behalf, file, and make payments with the State of Vermont. Please email the completed Power of Attorney forms to email@example.com.
Give us the Info
Once you have received all of this information from both the Maine Revenue Services and Workforce Development please forward it on to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**