The information below will guide you through the following:
- Understanding if you should be calculating South Dakota taxes
- Deciding which South Dakota taxes your company should register for
- Understanding what forms OnPay files
- Registering with the South Dakota Tax agencies
- Completing the forms necessary for OnPay to be able to file/pay on your behalf
- Entering necessary information into OnPay
Do you need to register for South Dakota Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of South Dakota?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain South Dakota information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which South Dakota Agencies should I register for?
- South Dakota Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in South Dakota. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees primary work location is in South Dakota, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulations (unemployment insurance assistance): 1-(605) 626-2312.
- Register for your account ID and tax rate
If you are a new employer in the State of Dakota, this information can be very useful in helping you get your company set up and registered. Please use the following contact information to speak to the departments about registration. Your company MUST be registered with each department before we can pay taxes on your behalf.
Tax Forms We File
- South Dakota Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
This information is required. If OnPay does not receive one or more pieces of the information/steps listed below, we may be unable to file/pay one or more of your tax returns. Please contact us if you have any questions.
What we need from you as a South Dakota Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- South Dakota Unemployment ID: 7-digit number Ex: 00000.0-0
Once you provide is with your Unemployment State Tax ID we can file and pay all of your South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation taxes for you.
I am an existing Alabama employer, where do I find the information to provide to OnPay?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Alabama you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Alabama Department of Labor:
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Contribution and Investment Fee Rate Notice
- Quarterly Contribution Wage Report (Form DOL-UID-21)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in UI Box of the Tax Rate Notice
- Employer Investment Fee Tax: This can be found in the Investment Fee Box of the Tax Rate Notice
If you cannot locate one of the documents above, or the account number, please contact the Alabama Department of Labor and request the account number.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed South Dakota DOL POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of Alabama, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
Power of Attorney
What we need from you as an South Dakota Employer:
Please CLICK HERE for the South Dakota Power of Attorney forms and information on how to complete the forms. This will allow us to speak on your behalf, file, and make payments with the State of South Dakota. Please email the completed Power of Attorney forms to email@example.com.
Give us the Info
Once you have received all of this information from the South Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner and Job Service South Dakota please forward it on to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**