Which tax forms does OnPay file?
Withholding: Form 941ME: Monthly Withholding Return, Form 941ME/C1-ME: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation, and Form W-3ME: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
Unemployment: Maine Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Maine State Tax ID
- Maine Unemployment ID
- Maine Unemployment Rate
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, and Unemployment Rate (as a %).
I am an existing Maine employer, where can I find the information?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Maine you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Maine Department of Revenue: (207)-626-8475
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on Form 941/C1-ME or any other notice received from Maine Revenue Services.
Maine Department of Labor: (207)-621-5120
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on notices received from the ME Department of Labor (Form 941/C1-ME).
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found in Contribution Rate Box in the bottom right-hand side of the Tax Rate Notice
- Employment Security Assessment: This can be found in the Assessment Rate Box in the bottom right-hand side of the Tax Rate Notice.
I am a new Employer, Do I need to register for Maine taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Maine?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Maine information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Maine agencies should I register for?
- Maine Revenue Services: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Maine, or for any employees that calculate Maine withholding taxes regardless of where they live/work. if your business is located outside of Maine, but your employees work or live in Maine you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Maine Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Maine. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Maine, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
How do I register with the state?
Maine Revenue Services (withholding assistance): (207)-626-8475
Maine Department of Labor (unemployment insurance assistance): (207)-621-5120
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**