Do you need to register for Washington Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Washington?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Washington information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Washington Agencies should I register for?
- Washington Employment Security Department: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Washington. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employee's primary work location is in Washington, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
Washington Department of Labor and Industries: 1-(360)-902-4817
- Register for your UBI Number: Unified Business Identifier
- Register for your L&I Account ID: Labor & Industries
- ES Reference Number: Employment Security Reference Number
Washington Unemployment Insurance UI Web Tax: 1-(800)-647-7706
Washington Industrial Insurance Quickfile: 1-(360)-902-5999
- Washington Employment Security Department: 1-(855) 829-9243
If you are a new employer in the State of Washington, this information can be very useful in helping you get your company set up and registered. Please use the following contact information to speak to the departments about registration. Your company MUST be registered with each department before we can pay taxes on your behalf.
Tax Forms We File
- Washington Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
- Washington L & I Account ID: 8-digit number Ex: 000-000-00
- Washington UBI Number: 9-digit number Ex: 000 000 000
Once you provide is with your Tax ID's we can file and pay all of your Washington Industrial Insurance and unemployment taxes for you.
I am an existing Washington employer, where do I find the information to provide to OnPay?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Washington you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Washington Department of Revenue:
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Account Number on the Quarterly Tax and Wage Detail Reports (Form 5208 A).
- The Department of Revenue will process your application and notify L&I to open a workers' compensation account and the Employment Security Department (ESD) to open an unemployment insurance account.
- You'll receive a letter from your new Workers' Comp account manager, and a packet of information which includes the following tax information:
- Unified Business Identification (UBI)
- ES (Employment Security) Account Number
- Workers' Comp Account ID
- Participant Activation Code (PAC)
- State Unemployment and Employment Administration Fund rate
Washington Department of Labor:
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find their Account Number on the following forms:
- Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (Form 5208 A)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found on the notice that you receive from the Washington Employment Security Department each year.
If you cannot locate one of the documents above or the account number, please contact the Appropriate Washington Department and request the account number.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to email@example.com:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed Washington DOL POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of Washington, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
Power of Attorney
What we need from you as a Washington Employer:
Please CLICK HERE for the Washington Power of Attorney forms and information on how to complete the forms. This will allow us to speak on your behalf, file, and make payments with the State of Washington. Please send the completed Power of Attorney forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state, please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**