The information below will guide you through the following:
- Understanding if you should be calculating Missouri taxes
- Deciding which Missouri taxes your company should register for
- Understanding what forms OnPay files
- Registering with the Missouri Tax agencies
- Completing the forms necessary for OnPay to be able to file/pay on your behalf
- Entering necessary information into OnPay
Do you need to register for Missouri Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of Missouri?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain Missouri information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which Missouri Agencies should I register for?
- Missouri Department of Revenue: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in Missouri, or for any employees that calculate Missouri withholding taxes regardless of there they live/work. if your business is located outside of Missouri, but your employees work or live in Missouri you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Missouri Department of Labor: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in Missouri. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees primary work location is in Missouri, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
If you are a new employer in the State of Missouri, this information can be very useful in helping you get your company set up and registered. Please use the following contact information to speak to the departments about registration. Your company MUST be registered with each department before we can pay taxes on your behalf.
Missouri Department of Revenue (withholding assistance): 1-(573)-751-3505
- Register for your State Tax ID
Missouri Department of Labor (unemployment insurance assistance): 1-(573) 751-3215
- Register for your account ID and tax rate
Tax Forms We File
- Form MO-941: Monthly Withholding Return
- Form MO-941: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation
- Form MO-941: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
- Missouri Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
This information is required. If OnPay does not receive one or more pieces of the information/steps listed below, we may be unable to file/pay one or more of your tax returns. Please contact us if you have any questions.
What you need as a Missouri Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Missouri State Tax ID: 8-digit number Ex: 00000000
Once you provide is with your State Tax ID we can file and pay all of your Missouri Department of Revenue taxes for you.
Missouri Unemployment Insurance
What we need from you as a Missouri Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- Missouri Unemployment ID: 10-digit number Ex: 00-00000-0-00
Once you provide is with your State Tax ID we can file and pay all of your Missouri Department of Labor taxes for you.
I am an existing Missouri employer, where do I find the information to provide to OnPay?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Missouri you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
Missouri Department of Revenue:
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find theirMissouri Tax ID Number on the Employer's Return of Income Taxes Withheld (Form MO-941).
If you cannot locate this document or account number, please call the Missouri Department of Revenue at 1 (573) 751-3505 and request the account number.
Missouri Department of Labor:
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find their Unemployment Account Number on your Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (Form MODES-4-7).
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found at the bottom right of the Tax Rate Notice
If you cannot locate one of the documents above, or the account number, please contact the Missouri Department of Labor at 1 (573) 751-3215 and request the account number.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed Missouri DOL POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of Missouri, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
Power of Attorney
What we need from you as an Missouri Employer:
Please CLICK HERE for the Missouri Power of Attorney forms and information on how to complete the forms. This will allow us to speak on your behalf, file, and make payments with the State of Missouri. Please email the completed Power of Attorney forms email@example.com.
Give us the Info
Once you have received all of this information from both the Department of Revenue and the Department of Labor please forward it on to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**