The information below will guide you through the following:
- Understanding if you should be calculating North Dakota taxes
- Deciding which North Dakota taxes your company should register for
- Understanding what forms OnPay files
- Registering with the North Dakota Tax agencies
- Completing the forms necessary for OnPay to be able to file/pay on your behalf
- Entering necessary information into OnPay
Do you need to register for North Dakota Taxes?
- Do you have a business and/or employees residing in the State of North Dakota?
- Have you processed payroll in OnPay and have received warnings stating we are missing tax information?
- Have you received an email from an OnPay Tax Agent requesting certain North Dakota information?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you should continue with the registration and setup steps below.
Which North Dakota Agencies should I register for?
- North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that both live and work in North Dakota, or for any employees that calculate North Dakota withholding taxes regardless of there they live/work. if your business is located outside of North Dakota, but your employees work or live in North Dakota you will likely need to register with this agency.
- Job Service North Dakota: You will need to register with this department if you have employees that work in North Dakota. If your business is located out of the state, but some of your employees primary work location is in North Dakota, you will likely need to register with this agency.
OnPay will use both the home address for each employee, plus the worksite assigned to each employee to decide which taxes should be calculated. OnPay uses reciprocity agreements between states to help decide where a certain employee's taxes are calculated according to those addresses.
North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner (withholding assistance): 1-(701) 328-1257.
- Register for your State Tax ID
Job Service North Dakota (unemployment insurance assistance): 1-(701)-328-2660
- Register for your account ID and tax rate
- Click here to register your North Dakota business with the ND Office of State Tax Commissioner & Job Service ND
If you are a new employer in the State of North Dakota, this information can be very useful in helping you get your company set up and registered. Please use the following contact information to speak to the departments about registration. Your company MUST be registered with each department before we can pay taxes on your behalf.
Tax Forms We File
- Form 306: Monthly Withholding Return
- Form 306: Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation
- Form 306: Annual Reconciliation/W-2 transmittal
- North Dakota Quarterly Tax and Wage Report
What information does OnPay need?
This information is required. If OnPay does not receive one or more pieces of the information/steps listed below, we may be unable to file/pay one or more of your tax returns. Please contact us if you have any questions.
What you need as a North Dakota Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- North Dakota State Tax ID: Example: 123456789-01
- If you have already set up and online account HERE then please provide us with the login credentials.
- You will need to have already registered your business with the North Dakota Office of State Tax Commission
Once you provide is with your State Tax ID and login credentials we can file and pay all of your North Dakota Office of State Tax Commission taxes for you.
ND Unemployment Insurance
What we need from you as a North Dakota Employer:
- Federal ID Number (EIN)
- North Dakota Unemployment ID: Example: 1234567
Once you provide is with your State Tax ID we can file and pay all of your North Dakota Department of Labor taxes for you.
I am an existing North Dakota employer, where do I find the information to provide to OnPay?
If you are an employer with a history of payroll in Alabama you have likely obtained the IDs and online accounts necessary for OnPay to process your tax filings.
North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner:
- Withholding Tax Account Number: Existing employers can find their Withholding Tax Account Number on the Quarterly income Tax Withholding Return (Form 306)
If you cannot locate this document or account number, please call the Alabama Department of Revenue at 1-(701) 328-1257. and request the account number.
Job Service North Dakota:
- Unemployment Account Number: Existing employers can find the Unemployment Account Number on the following forms:
- Determination of Employer Liability
- Contribution and Wage Report (Form SFN 41263)
- Unemployment Tax Rate: This can be found on the Tax Rate Notice received from Job Service North Dakota.
If you cannot locate one of the documents above, or the account number, please contact the Alabama Department of Labor at 1-(701) 328-2660 and request the account number.
Where do I enter the information in OnPay?
If you already have your tax information, or if you have obtained it using the steps above, please update the tax information in OnPay:
- Login to OnPay
- Select the Settings menu icon
- Select Payroll Tax
- View/Update your Withholding Tax ID, Withholding Tax Deposit Schedule, Unemployment Tax ID, Unemployment Rate (as a %), and any local tax IDs as required.
Once you have the following information, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- DOR: E-File Sign-On ID/E-File Access Code
- Completed North Dakota DOL POA found here.
Please reference each section below to identify any other information or steps required for OnPay to complete tax payments and filings on your behalf. If you are a new employer in the State of North Dakota, the following information can be very useful in helping get your company set up and registered.
Power of Attorney
What we need from you as an North Dakota Employer:
Please CLICK HERE for the North Dakota Power of Attorney forms and information on how to complete the forms. This will allow us to speak on your behalf, file, and make payments with the State of North Dakota. Please email the completed Power of Attorney forms to email@example.com.
Give us the Info
Once you have received all of this information from both the North Dakota Office of State Tax Commissioner and Job Service North Dakota please forward it on to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**If you have liabilities or employees for more than one state please follow the instructions found in the knowledge base for each state.**